this is the final post in a series about the Benefits of Kids Drinking Milk. i have partnered with Milk Life to help parents become aware of some important findings about the benefits of their kids drinking milk. i recently had the opportunity to listen in on a detailed discussion by Registered Dietitian, Holley Grainger, who shared about theses benefits along with research provided from the American Academy of Pediatrics and MilkPEP. i was enlightened by the many nutritional benefits milk provides for kids. if you would like, you can read my first post about The Benefits of Drinking Milk. or my second post about A Day in the Life of Feeding my Kids.
in this post i wanted to point out some ways to help fuel a healthy life for kids and families. not only does nutrition play a big role in fueling a healthy life, there are many ways that you can fuel a healthy life in your family's lifestyle. the following points can lead to a healthy life in not only your kids, but also the entire family.
5 Ways to Fuel a Healthy Life
1) Family Time. enjoy quality family time together, whether it’s dinnertime, homework time or family game night.....time spent around at the table with family helps establish life-long healthy habits, in terms of both nutrition and lifestyle. setting specific times during the week for these type of activities create routine, open dialog with your children and time to enjoy each others company.
2) Outdoor Time. sunshine, fresh air and exercise can instantly bring up your mood and feeling of wellbeing. kids need the freedom to run and play, burn off extra energy and stay fit.
3) Down Time. kids need time to relax and rest. this could mean a nap, watching a movie or just laying around the house. down time is an important time for kids to slow down their bodies from our fast-paced lives and regroup their thoughts and feelings.
4) Dinner Time. it can be hard to find the time to sit at the dinner table together each night, but making it a priority is important. use this time to enjoy a healthy meal and chat about what happened during your days. and that bring us to our next point....
5) Nutrition. it is important to eat the rainbow – fruits, vegetables and also a good balance of dairy and proteins. moderation is key when it comes to sweets and treats.
as a parent, i know how important nutrition is for kids. currently, there is a big gap in the nutrition kids are getting nowadays. many kids are falling short on important nutrients including calcium, vitamin D and potassium. these are key nutrients that are found in milk. a lot of families have changed their diets from drinking milk to alternatives such as fortified drinks, soy or almond milk. the problem is, that these alternatives don't provide the same nutrients found in milk.
in case you missed the last post, here are some of the benefits of milk...
• Milk is the top food source for three of the four nutrients most likely to be missing from kids’ diets – calcium, vitamin D and potassium.
• Milk is a great way for kids to get their bone-building nutrients
• An 8-ounce glass of milk has 8 grams of high-quality protein.
• Milk provides 9 essential nutrients in each glass, milk is a delicious, easy and affordable way to give your kids protein plus other nutrients they need
• At just about 25 cents a glass, milk is one of the most affordable ways to give your kids nutritious protein. penny for penny, when it comes to protein, other sources like fish or beef can’t compare.
• An 8-ounce glass of dairy milk provides 8 times more protein than a glass of almond milk.
• Milk is a choice you can feel good about serving to your family. from the farm to the dairy plant to the grocery store, milk is one of safest foods you can buy.
the saying is true, Milk Does the Body Good! head over to MilkLife.com for more milk information and recipes. now here's the fun part....you could win a month of FREE milk, and that would be awesome.
WIN A MONTH OF FREE MILK!!!!
Giveaway!!! (2) winners will receive a gift card worth the amount of a month’s supply of milk (valued at $18)! winners will be chosen randomly on November 16, 2015 at midnight. to enter, answer this question in the comments section below: How do you provide a healthy lifestyle for your family? good luck!