this week, i will be bringing you a series of posts about the benefits of drinking milk. i have partnered with Milk Life to help parents become aware of some important findings about the benefits of their kids drinking milk. i was able to attend a meeting with Registered Dietitian, Holley Grainger, who shared about theses benefits along with research provided from the American Academy of Pediatrics and MilkPEP. i had no idea that milk had so many nutritional benefits for kids.
as a mom, i know the importance of providing healthy food that is high in protein and nutrition for my children. this is especially important during the busy back-to-school season. unfortunately getting my boys to eat the healthy food i provide them, is not always easy. most days, all i can get them to eat in the morning is a few bites of toast and a cup of milk. after hearing some of the benefits of kids drinking milk, i feel better that they are at least getting a nutritious drink before they head out to a busy day at school.
currently, there is a big gap in the nutrition kids are getting nowadays. many kids are falling short on important nutrients including calcium, vitamin D and potassium. these are key nutrients that are found in milk. a lot of families have changed their diets from drinking milk to alternatives such as fortified drinks, soy or almond milk. the problem is, that these alternatives don’t provide the same nutrients found in milk.
The Benefits of Drinking Milk
• Milk is the top food source for three of the four nutrients most likely to be missing from kids’ diets – calcium, vitamin D and potassium.
• Milk is a great way for kids to get their bone-building nutrients
• Milk provides 9 essential nutrients in each glass, milk is a delicious, easy and affordable way to give your kids protein plus other nutrients they need
• An 8-ounce glass of milk has 8 grams of high-quality protein.
• At just about 25 cents a glass, milk is one of the most affordable ways to give your kids nutritious protein. penny for penny, when it comes to protein, other sources like fish or beef can’t compare.
• An 8-ounce glass of dairy milk provides 8 times more protein than a glass of almond milk.
• Milk is a choice you can feel good about serving to your family. from the farm to the dairy plant to the grocery store, milk is one of safest foods you can buy.
these are all great things to remember when it comes to making decisions in our children’s nutrition. when it comes to milk, make sure to check the label on your milk to ensure you know what you’re getting. real milk’s ingredient list is short — simply milk and vitamins D and A. plus, dairy milk is a nutrient powerhouse…it naturally provide many nutrients, including protein, calcium and potassium, compared to other plant-based milks, like almond milk, which provides no nutrients naturally.
the saying is true, Milk Does the Body Good!
i have little control on what my boys eat at school. just because i pack them a nutritious lunch, doesn’t mean they eat it. sometimes i open up their lunch boxes after school, and most of the food i packed is still in them. dinner time can be just as rough. i want it to be a calming, and positive time of the day where our family has some quality time together. i don’t want dinnertime spent fighting over getting the kids to eat. so often times i have a bedtime snack with Vann, my pickiest eater, to get a few more calories into him. this always consists of a big glass of milk and a few graham crackers. he always tells me that graham crackers and milk taste so good together…so we started giving him them for a treat at bedtime. little does he know how many nutrients he is getting from that big glass of milk.
i will be sharing more about the benefits of drinking milk this week, along with a giveaway in each of the posts! so be sure to check back and enter each of them. you could win a month of FREE milk…that would be awesome. or head over to MilkLife.com for more milk information and recipes.
WIN A MONTH OF FREE MILK!!!!
Giveaway!!! (2) winners will receive a gift card worth the amount of a month’s supply of milk (valued at $18)! winners will be chosen randomly on November 1, 2015 at midnight. to enter, answer this question in the comments section below: Which of the four tips about milk surprised you the most? good luck!