have you heard? Andrew Lloyd Webber's new production of The Wizard of Oz has come to Orange County. this family-friendly show will play from February 11th – 23rd, 2014 at the Segerstrom Center for the Performing Arts. and i'd have to say, the show was WONDERFUL! last night, i took my oldest two boys to opening night and we had an amazing time.
if you are looking for the perfect show to introduce your kiddies to a Broadway Musical, this is the show. i even saw kids as young as three years old enjoying the show, however i would say it is best for kids 6yrs and up. use your best judgement, if your kids won't sit through a movie, then i wouldn't bring them quite yet. the first act is 70 minutes and the second act is 45 minutes.
make sure to arrive at least an hour before the show, as there are lot of fun activities to enjoy. pre-show activities for The Wizard of Oz take place one hour prior to each performance and include:
• The Yellow Brick Road to Oz where guests can write down on paper made bricks what they would ask the great and powerful Wizard if they had the courage and the chance.
• a giant "There’s No Place Like Home" map for patrons to mark where they call home.
• a hands-on Tornado Demo that includes facts about these fierce and destructive windstorms.
• a fun Photo Opportunity featuring the iconic yellow brick road. guests are encouraged to post photos on their social media sites and use hashtag #WizardOC.
• audiences can browse the Fun Facts Display containing trivia about all things The Wizard of Oz – from the original books to previous stage productions to the immortalized 1939 classic film.
and don't forget the best part of the night…the fabulous production of The Wizard of Oz! it was even better than i expected, and the sets were spectacular. they were a mix of vibrant colors and included multimedia and special effects.
my favorite part of The Wizard of Oz was the costumes. every piece was breathtaking.
i am so happy the The Wizard of Oz made it to the Segerstrom Center for the Arts, and that i was able to share this experience with my boys. it is my mission to have them experience different aspects of the arts and develop an appreciation for them.
The Wizard of Oz
The Segerstrom Center for the Arts