This is a sponsored post for TODAY Food Club. – When the TODAY Food Club, asked me to share a family favorite recipe, i knew exactly which recipe I wanted to share. Monterey Chicken is a dish that my mom has been making our family since I was little. It's my ultimate comfort food. My entire family loves it, and we always look forward to when she's going to make it. She knows this is my favorite dish, so she makes it for my birthday each year. It’s probably the best part of my birthday...it always reminds me of good times together as a family.
Now that my mom has passed down this Monterey Chicken Recipe to me, I've continued the tradition and make it for my own family. It appear on special occasions or when i need something yummy to serve guests at a dinner party. Everytime I make it for friends, it receives rave reviews.
How about I share this recipe with you...i know you won’t be disappointed.
How to make Monterey Chicken
you need: 4-6 large skinless chicken breasts, 1 package taco seasoning, 1 cup flour plus 2 Tablespoons, ½ cup melted butter, 3 cups crushed tortilla chips, 2 Tablespoons chopped onion, 1 can evaporated milk, 1 Tablespoons oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, ¼ cups sliced olives and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.first, prepare the chicken. add taco seasoning to crushed tortilla chips. place the melted butter, flour and seasoned tortilla chips in separate dishes.
coat each chicken breast in flour.
next, coat in melted butter.
finally, coat each piece in the taco seasoned tortilla chips. place into a baking dish or on a baking sheet. place into a pre-heated, 375ºF oven for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
How to Make the Monterey Cheese Sauce
While the chicken is baking, prepare the cheese sauce. i highly suggest doubling the cheese sauce recipe. in my family, every love to put it not only on the chicken, but also over the rice and vegetables. you will be glad you did.
First, grate 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese.
Next heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. sauteé onions until translucent.
Immediately whisk in evaporated milk.
Carefully whisk in shredded Monterey Jack cheese. turn down heat to low. Once the cheese has fully melted, whisk in lemon juice, salt and olives.
At this point, season to taste. You can add more salt or cheese if you would like. It will take a few minutes for the flavors to settle in, but once you pour over the chicken, the flavors mesh perfectly.
How to Serve Monterey Chicken
Remove chicken from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
The results are awesomely good. Crunchy, moist chicken with a hint of taco flavor, and a creamy, cheesy sauce with just a slight bit of heat from the cayenne pepper.
You will want to add some cheese sauce to the veggies. The cheese sauce is just sooo yummy.
Monterey Chicken may not be the most figure friendly recipe, but it is definitely one that I love to enjoy a couple times a year. Guests love this recipe and it is perfect to make for a crowd. this recipe has been passed down in my family for many years. I am sure my boys will continue the tradition of making it for their families when they are grown.
Monterey Chicken Recipe
- 4-6 large skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2-3 cups crushed tortilla chips
Monterey Jack Cheese Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 Tablespoons oil
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- ¼ cups sliced olives
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Prepare the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF
- Add taco seasoning to the crushed tortilla chips, toss until combined. place the melted butter, flour and seasoned tortilla chips in separate dishes.
- In an assembly line, coat each chicken breast in flour, then in melted butter and finally, in taco seasoned tortilla chips.
- Place into a baking dish or on a baking sheet. place into the oven for 40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- First, grate 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese.
- Next heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. sauteé onions until translucent. add 2 Tablespoons flour, and stir quickly while scrapping the pan until mixture is thickened making a rue.
- Immediately whisk in evaporated milk. once fully combined, carefully whisk in shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Turn down heat to low.
- Once the cheese has fully melted, whisk in lemon juice, salt and olives. at this point, season to taste. You can add more salt or cheese if you would like.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon cheese sauce over each piece.
- Garnish with leftover olive slices.
Note: I highly suggest doubling the cheese sauce recipe. in my family, every loves to put it not only on the chicken, but also over the rice and vegetables. you will be glad you did.
Get More Great Recipes Like This One
The TODAY Food Club is a fun new FREE cooking resource site created by the TODAY show. When you sign up for this club, you’ll get lots of helpful tips and opportunities with membership. some of the benefits include – weekly meal plans with shopping lists, kitchen tips from the TODAY show’s food experts, and special member only offers. plus, you can submit recipes to the cooking challenges, giving you a chance to see your work featured by the TODAY show.