This easy Vegan Curried Vegetable and Lentil Soup is full of veggies and packed with a lot of flavor. Living in Southern California, it's easy to forget that soup makes a great meal. It doesn't get very cold here, and usually you think of making soup when it's cold. But it's been cold and a little drizzly lately...the perfect time to make all the soup. Because we all know it's not going to stay cold very long. So here's a new soup recipe to add to your list.
You only need one pot to make this comforting healthy vegetable lentil curry soup. It's a vegan soup that even meat eaters will enjoy. It's an easy, hearty and satisfying soup with a mild curry flavor. The great thing about this recipe is that the prep time is only about ten minutes. Then you put it on the stove to cook and simmer for about an hour and half.
To begin making this recipe, you will need olive oil, onion, curry powder, cumin, tomato paste, vegetable stock, green lentils, broccoli, carrots, parsnip, celery, parsley.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, curry powder and cumin for about 4 minutes or until onion softens. If you prefer spicier dishes, more curry powder can be used.
Stir in the tomato paste and vegetable stock and bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
Reduce the heat to low and add the lentils. Cover the pot and simmer for 40 minutes.
For the finally cooking period. add the broccoli, carrots, parsnip and celery.
Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Finally, stir in some fresh parsley. This adds a pop of fresh and makes the flavors so vibrant. Now you can serve it up! Just add a side of crusty bread and you will have a warm and hearty dinner the whole family will love.
Best of all, if you have leftovers, you can store this soup in the fridge for up to 5 days. It tastes great..maybe even bet reheated. Make sure to add a dash of fresh parsley...because YUM!
Easy Curried Vegetable and Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- ⅔ cup green lentils
- 3 cups broccoli flowerettes
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onion, curry powder and cumin for about 4 minutes or until onion softens.
- Stir in the tomato paste and vegetable stock and bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the lentils.
- Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, parsnip and celery.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in parsley and serve.