Salt Dough Conversation Hearts

Salt Dough Conversation Hearts | Kid's Valentine Craft

okay, so i lied. i do have some cute hearts in my house! the kiddies and i made some Salt Dough Conversation Hearts to decorate for a fun Valentine’s Day craft and to decorate our home. we had fun making them and they turned out kinda cute. it was a great hands on craft for the kiddies.

wanna make some? here is how we made them…..

salt dough recipe
• 2 cups flour
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup salt
• food coloring

other things you’ll need
• ribbon
• red marker
• cookie cutter
• scissors

directions
• heat oven to 250º.
• mix the salt, water and flour till you make a dough. the dough should be similar to sugar cookie dough consistancy…you can add more flour till it is right. (but don’t eat it! ha ha).
• separate dough into balls and knead in a few drops of food coloring into each until you get the desired color.

salt-dough-valentine-craft

• roll out the dough out on a floured surface. use cookie cutter and cut out your hearts and place on a cookie sheet.
• make a hole at the top of the hearts to thread the ribbon through before you bake. (i found this out the hard way)

salt-dough-kids-craft

• bake for 1-1/2-2 hours until your hearts are hard. be sure not to burn them!
• use a red marker to write on your hearts.
• thread ribbon through the holes, hang up and enjoy!

valentines-day-salt-dough-craft

(i probably should have been more carefully writing the words on the hearts. they are a little messy…..but i guess i can’t always be a perfectionist.)
Have fun!

You Might Also Like:

Comments

1. Sharlene :) says:

How much would you recommend making for an entire class of 18 children?

• Maybe two batches? I honestly don’t remember how much dough it makes since this post was written so long ago. I believe what is shown is one batch.

2. Felice says:

Can you make dough a night before? If so how would i store it?

3. Lauren Goeres-Hill says:

Such a cute idea, can’t wait to try this out with my 5 y/o daughter who loves to bake!♡

4. Paula says:

HI. I just did these tonight. The baking I didn’t realize was 2 hours. Making 24 for Valentine exchange for my son’s class tomorrow. I used more flour when kneading. I used McCormick food coloring. I had no problems except I didn’t expect the constant kneading with flour and working in the food coloring. My son helped out so its kid friendly. My first time doing these. Hoping they all come out good..in time for the morning so my son takes them to school for his Valentine exchanges. We can’t bring candy or food so I thought this project would be a nice treat.
    Thanks for putting this out there!

5. I love these conversation hearts! Absolutely adorable! Your blog is brilliant for activities!
    I just started a blog and my first post includes a version of salt dough hearts with some googly eyes. Would love to know what you think! And I’ve included a link to your hearts too, I hope you don’t mind! http://piesandgents.blogspot.ie/ 🙂 thank you! xErin

6. Kirstin says:

My 2 1/2 year old & I are currently waiting for these to bake. Even if they don’t come out as nicely as yours, my little one still had a lot of fun. We’ve left up a Christmas tree this year to decorate for Valentine’s Day & these will be perfect. Just hoping I don’t get distracted & let them burn:) Thank you!

7. dalcher2 says:

Has anyone made them at high altitude? I’m wondering about recipe variations.

Trackbacks

1. […] Salt Dough Conversation Heart Ornaments […]

2. […] Converstaion Heart Ornaments by Sandy Toes and Popsicles.  What a sweet way to show someone how much you care!  These would be […]